Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Couch to 5K

So I'm down 16 pounds and 3 pants sizes. I'm steadily losing 1-2 pounds a week. I'm rather pleased with my progress. That said, I'm not so happy with my current workout routine. Doing 60-90 minutes of cardio aerobics and strength training 5-6 times a week is wearing me out. I mean, the benefits are awesome. I'm still, you know, fat, but I'm toning up and looking a lot less flabby.

Earlier this evening, I passed the downstairs powder room and stopped to look at my reflection in the mirror. It was weird to see the changes.

Me: Dude, I'm, like, tight fat. You know?
Dave: No, I don't. What does that even mean?
Me: I'm not sure. I'm, like, fat, but tighter. See?
Dave: Yes.

I've managed to get Dave on the Get Healthy Wagon. He's not in bad shape or anything, but he knows that daily exercise (just 30 minutes) would greatly benefit his blood sugar control. We've decided to pick up a treadmill sometime this weekend/early next week. A treadmill will make my workouts much easier. I can do 30 minutes of walking then 60 minutes of aerobics/strength training. Or, some days, I can just walk for an hour or whatever. Also, I can edit while walking by placing my manuscripts on the treadmill dashboard thing.

Even with this addition of a treadmill to my workouts, I know I've got to ramp things up if I want to continue to lose weight and increase my stamina. A few of the chicas in my support group are starting the Couch to 5K program. Basically, you follow the walking/jogging/running regimen for 9 weeks and work your way up from slobby couch potato to running 5K in thirty minutes.

I've decided that as soon as I hit 30 pounds of weight loss, I'm starting the program. I'd start this weekend, but I'm a little worried about the extra strain on my joints with all the excess weight I carry. So 14 more pounds and I'm adding running to my workouts. I've already started looking at running shoes and clothes.

Life is becoming slightly surreal. Seven weeks ago, I was that girl who did ANYTHING she could to avoid any kind of phsyical exertion. Now, I'm that nutter looking for new ways to shake up my sweating routines. I used to devour sleeves of cookies and bags of chips and wash them down with leaded Dr. Peppers by the six pack. These days, I drink maybe 2 Diet Dr. Peppers a day, guzzle water like it's going out of style, and eat cookies and chips (one serving only) maybe once a week. I made some pumpkin pies for Memorial Day (Dave loves them,) but I haven't touched them. Each time I consider having a slice, I'm, like, well that's 200 or 300 calories and I could totally have an apple and peanut butter or (insert yummy healthy choice here) instead.

Bizarre, huh? I think it's because I finally realize that I can accomplish this. I mean, yes, I'm not even 1/6 of the way there, but dudes, I'm going to make it. Come hell or high water, I'm losing this weight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,

I really enjoyed reading this post.

I work for Qvisory, a nonprofit helping young people with their money, work, and health issues. I manage the Health blog.

I'm very interested in having you guest blog for us.

If you're interested you can contact me at billy AT qvisory DOT org

Thanks.