Sunday, May 04, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Movie

Today started off great. Dave and I decided we go see Iron Man. We were getting dressed and I pulled on my favorite jeans. Dave noticed they looked a bit baggy so he asked me if I could pull them off without unbuttoning. I shrugged and gave it a try--and they fell to the floor. Yeah. Weird. So I start looking for jeans to wear and I finally decide to try this pair hiding in the back of the closet. They used to be super tight and now they're baggy enough that I can slip three fingers between denim and my waist. Whoa. I've lost 2 sizes. Nuts!

We have a quick lunch and make plans to hit up Wally World before the theater to stock up on yummies. I know. It's sort of wrong to do that, but I'm so not paying four dollars for a box of Raisinets. Not happening.

As we're backing down the driveway, I notice this odd squealing noise. I chalk it up to the fan belt and decide to take a look once we get to the theater. Yeah. We didn't make it. A mile or two from the house, the truck lurches and we throw the belt, lose the power steering, and the underdrive pulley flies off and bounces dwon the highway. Not good, not good. We were lucky. There were no cars behind us and a parking lot was just a few feet to our right. We pulled over and called AAA. Now my truck is parked in the driveway. We've got to call a shop in the morning, have it towed over there and fixed.

Man, you should see the pulley. It seriously looks like someone used it for shotgun practice. I need to get up under the truck and see if the bolts are still attached or if they were ripped off by the flying pulley. I'm not sure about the harmonic balancer either. If that's messed up it's going to increase the price of labor. I just hope we don't have a problem getting the parts. I so wish we had a good tool set so I wouldn't have to pay labor. I'm fairly certain we could fix this ourselves.

Anywho. That was our day. Oh, and yeah, my black truck is still in the garage waiting for the rear seal and transmission fluid to be replaced. I know. I should have taken care of this weeks ago, but I didn't. I'm am the Queen of Procrastination.

One more thing. While we were waiting for AAA, I called the house to talk to my dad, but Marcos answered. He used to drive this truck and had a similar problem throwing a fan belt. He also effed up the water pump and dumped most of the truck's fluids on the side of the highway. He and Dave talked a bit and Marcos shot out this gem: Don't let Dad fool you. That truck's always had fan belt problems. You know what I think? He just wanted to get rid of that truck--and his daughter.

Nice. Thanks, Marcos.

No comments: