Saturday, April 11, 2009

Final Countdown

So we're in the final countdown to discovering whether Zaphod's naughty bits are dangly or not. We've been getting a lot of phone calls and texts over the last day or two asking curious questions about Zaphod. Are you carrying high or low? Hey, what's the baby's heart rate? Er, any names picked out yet?

I'm sort of wondering if my brothers or sister aren't running a hot dog or cheeseburger pool. It wouldn't surprise me. There's nothing my siblings like more than a little gambling. Football squares, craps, poker--baby gender and due date pools?

We have the anatomy scan on Tuesday afternoon. I have no idea what to expect on that grainy screen. The morning I had my positive pregnancy test, I thought, "Yep. This is our little girl." But then we had the first ultrasound and I had the distinct feeling it was a boy. Most days I lean toward girl but some days I feel like it's a boy. Some days I wonder if maybe my son is going to have an inclination toward My Little Pony or my daughter an affinity for power tools and softball. That would explain Mommy's mixed feelings....

At this point, I don't really give a poo about gender. Would it be fun to have the first little girl born on either side of our families? Oh, hell yes! But, seriously, I'm just so happy to be having a baby at all, I'll be overjoyed with ten fingers and ten toes. Then again who knows if Zaphod will cooperate with the ultrasound tech. (S)he likes to get all scrunched up in the left side of my uterus. I'm hoping a little prodding and pressure will coax a flash or two but I'm not going to hold my breath. Zaphod has already shown (s)he's not a fan of ultrasound or doppler waves. It took Dr. A a minute or so to find Zaphod yesterday during my prenatal visit. Of course (s)he was way down on the left side of my belly--and kicking and punching like a mofo at the doppler waves. Uncomfortable much? Oh, yeah...

And am I the only preggo chick who is terrifed of peeing during the ultrasound? Seriously, asking a pregnant woman to drink, like, 8 glasses of water, hold it for two plus hours and then not do the peepee squirmy dance on top of the exam table while the tech smashes around on her belly is just obnoxious. I've already told Dave I'm packing an extra set of jeans and skivvies and a towel. I'm also practicing my "Nothing to see her, folks!" scuttle since you have to cross a waiting room between radiology and the restrooms.

Anywho. Must get back to work. The smut, she beckons!

No comments: