Monday, August 11, 2008

Coupon Queen

So most people know Dave-O and I have decided to become "gazelle intense" on paying off what little debt we have and piling up ducats for the future. We'd like to purchase a freezer, a newer, safer car, and, if the babymaking goes south, fertility treatments (conveniently NOT covered by our insurance) and/or a few adoptions.

That said, we've been living like no one else, as Dave Ramsey likes to say. We've stopped eating out. We've switched to the library instead of Barnes & Noble. We've kicked up the thermostat a few more degrees and water the grass according to a water conservation program. Lately, I've been looking for more ways to squeeze pennies out of our budget. Through my support group, I've discovered a new addiction: couponing.

Oh. My. God. I can't even begin to explain the absolute ecstasy I experience through couponing. Getting loads of stuff for a quarter or a few dollars is so effing fun. Today, for instance, I coupled coupons with local sales to cut 30 dollars off of our weekly food budget. If I save a similar amount for the rest of the month, we'll have an extra $120 bucks for the savings account. Holy Crap!

Right now I'm a coupon amateur but there are ladies in my support group who are extreme couponers. I mean, seriously, they'll get $150 worth of groceries for ten bucks. It's crazy. And, again, addicting. I get that it's not for everyone. But it's good for us.

Yeah. I know. I'm a coupon nerd. :)

No comments: