Sunday, April 06, 2008

Polygamists, Tumbleweeds, and Me

Yeah. So good ole E-Town is in the news again. Sigh.

My Eldorado


219 Children Taken From Polygamist Compound

It's really disgusting to see the place that I call home (cuz no matter where I move that itty bitty dusty place will always be home) stained by the association with those polygamist nutters. I'm all for letting people believe in whatever cultish ideas make them happy, but I draw the line at kids. If consenting adults want to marry their cousins and have loads of inbred children, whatever. When young girls are forced into marriages with stank old men who may or may not be their relatives, I want to vomit. Enough. Seriously. Get in there and take those girls away. Now. They might think we're being cruel, but it's for their own good. They just don't know it. When you're cut off from the outside world, you don't realize what's right and wrong.

That 16 year old girl who was ballsy enough to call in and ask for help is so incredibly brave. I feel so badly for her now. I can't even imagine what they've done to her and her baby. It's not clear whether or not they've located her. I wouldn't count on it. I'm sure it wouldn't have been that difficult to smuggle her off the ranch in the middle of the night. People from urban areas might find that odd, but out in E-town, well, there's really nothing but miles and miles and miles of open land.

Mom says everything in town is crazy. She couldn't even go to Mass on Saturday evening because of all the damn news trucks parked near the Catholic Church (which just happens to be down the road from the FLDS compound.) Nuts. Seriously.

Anyone interested in the story of the FLDS folks just popping up one day on the edge of town send me a PM. I'll fill you in. I'm not gonna get into it here. Way too long of a post, lol.

No comments: