Monday, March 31, 2008

Pervy Spider

So there's this total perv spider clinging to the outside of our bedroom window, and it's starting to creep me out. S/he stays out of sight until things get, uh, interesting and then--wham!--there s/he is! It's sick! I hate spiders, like, heebie jeebies hate. *Shudder*

I got lots of great advice yesterday on my missing/corrupted file problem. It's going to have to wait until I switch to another laptop though. I can't afford to have my laptop out of my sight until then. I write every day. I'm addicted to this laptop. Seriously. I made the mistake of conditioning myself to write only on this laptop at this specific table in my squishy chair in the living room. I'm getting to the point where I can sometimes work on the couch or upstairs in bed, but I'm not as prolific. It just feels wrong.

Oh, and Dave-O and I ventured into the flourescent orange and blue hell that is the AT&T wireless store. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't get pressured into buying a new phone the second I walked in the door. They must have just had one of those meetings where they encourage associates not to attack customers like salivating hyenas.

Anywho. The guy behind the counter banged my phone around a bit, knocked out the SIM card and slipped in a new one, and yeah, nothing worked. I had one of those John Constantine/Gabriel moments: You're fucked.

I ended up dropping $250 on a new phone that should be here in two days. Yeah. Ouch. I'm not eligible for a free phone upgrade until September so I had no choice but to buy a new phone at a slightly discounted price. I figured Dave would crap a brick since I'm always teasin him about being tacano. (I even do the hand sign. God, it cracks me up.) But he didn't even blink an eye at the total. He was just like if that's the phone you want, get it. And I did.

He's weird like that. The man's a natural bargain hunter. He'll spend ten minutes in the peanut butter aisle scrutinizing the price per ounce of crunchy peanut butter brands before making his choice. (Oh, and we never buy smooth. Let no man or woman come between Dave and his crunchy peanut butter.) To be fair, I'm the same way. I spent three weeks researching mattress sets before we whittled the list down to three and then finally one. What can I say? We're weird like that.

I guess that's a good thing. We may only save a few pennies here or there but it adds up over time. It was nice not to have to panic about the impact of a new phone on the budget. When I see people putting cell phones and other stuff that's going to crap out sooner rather than later on credit cards, I always grimace. I just want to shake them. Double Crapping Damn! Don't they realize they're going to be paying that shit off years after that phone is scrapped? I've heard enough horror stories of friends/family putting weddings, jewelry, vehicles, furniture, shopping sprees and vacations on credit cards. It scares the poo out of me.

Anyways. That was my day.

Oh, and as far as the Sweating with Sven 70 Days of Writing Challenge goes I am kicking ass. Since March 1, I've written 52,371 words. I've completed, edited and submitted an erotic novella to my publisher. I'm three chapters into a new novel and working out the kinks (har har, get it?) on an erotic romance idea for a menage and more anthology.

And on that note I'm off to, uh, research. Yeah. Research.

No comments: