Monday, February 22, 2010

Sick As a Dog

Oh, man, have I been sick! I started feeling icky on Tuesday evening at our hotel. I thought it was probably just nerves and stress and didn't think much of it. By Wednesday evening, I was so nauseated and sensitive to smells. My first thought was a whoopsie baby. I mean, I nurse every two to three hours and am on the combo Pill (not POP) but anything's possible, right?

A quick three minute test told me that wasn't a possibility so I figured it must have been a cyst. I get those annoying corpus luteum cysts that mimic pregnancy symptoms. Just another one of the joys of a bad case of PCOS. I decided to wait it out to see if the cyst would resolve itself before heading in to see my OB/GYN. Typically the treatment for cysts is the same birth control pills I'm on at the moment. If the cyst doesn't go away, you go in for a little snip snip via laproscopy. Not really something I have time for at the moment.

Well. The cyst issue resolved itself Friday night. I rolled over in bed and felt that horrible bubble wrap pop and after half an hour of excruciating pain experienced some relief. So, um, yay!

But the cyst wasn't my real problem. I seem to have picked up some horrid strain of dysentery or typhus or Ebola at TCH. Not surprising considering there are sick kiddos packed onto 21 floors of that tower and I got to ride the elevator of exposure up and down and up and down for two days.

Let's just say I was in a bad way. I had to ask Dave to come home in the middle of a shift because I was so weak I couldn't pick up Nyx. By Friday night, I was begging for an ambulance or a priest. I lost 7 pounds in three days. Don't get me wrong. It's nice to see that lovely low number on my scale. It's one I haven't seen in years. The thing is quick weight loss and dehydration are hell on milk production but I seem to be rebounding. Luckily the kiddo started solids last week so she didn't seem to mind having a little less booby milk available on tap.

Thankfully I'm all better now. My weight has bounced back up but I can tell it's just water retention. My body is parched. Even though it would be nice to keep those seven pounds off, I won't be surprised if I gain back a few.

But if I ever need to fit back into my skinny jeans in a pinch...

No comments: