Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Weighty Subject

So now that my eggo is preggo I've sort of put the weight loss on hold. Between April and November of last year, I dropped 46 pounds. I gained five or six pounds in December mainly because I stopped running 4 times a week and started munching on all the holiday yummies. Luckily, I've dropped six pounds in my first trimester so I'm right back where I started as far as total weight loss goes.

Because I'm still chubtastic, I'm trying to keep the weight gain during this pregnancy to an absolute minimum, maybe 15 pounds or so. I'm going to start running regularly tomorrow and try to get in some long, brisk walks on the days I'm not running. The plan is to stay at my current weight until 26-28 weeks before I start to gain. Obviously, I'm not being fanatical or anything. I'm just being really diligent with the foods I choose. I'm low-carbing for the most part and trying to double my veggie and dairy intake. I've never had a problem with getting in enough fruit or protein but I'm trying to choose better fruits, those low in simple sugars and high in fiber.

It won't be easy to stay on track, but I just can't be one of those pregnant women who gains thirty or forty plus pounds. That's fine if you're normal weight when you get pregnant, but if you're overweight it's a nightmare situation. I've got to worry about my heart murmur and mitral valve prolapse and my family history of Type II Diabetes. The last thing I need is gestational diabetes and high blood pressure, you know? Eff that.

So if that means I have to say no to most of my ice cream and carrot cake cravings, then so be it. I figure this is just the first of many sacrifices I'll have to make as a mom. Might as well get started early, eh?

1 comment:

Brenda Lou said...

Good luck, honey! You've got it all planned out so I have no doubt you'll succeed. But Lord is that hard! LOL