Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Jazz Hands

So we had the ultrasound yesterday and, uh, yeah I'm farther along than we thought. I'm 11 weeks and 2 days today. I was expecting one of those bizarre looking tadpole fetuses with the beluga whale head on the ultrasound screen but, no, it was a perfectly formed baby with a super strong heartbeat. The midwife doing our ultrasound exclaimed, "Holy buckets! That's not 9 weeks!" The new due date is September 7.

Also, I was shocked to see Zaphod moving around in there. (S)he kept doing jazz hands and little foot kicks. Dave is convinced it's show tunes central in my uterus right now. It wouldn't surprise me. I was a super bizarre kiddo so I would expect nothing less than Chicago or Cabaret renditions at 11 weeks. I'm expecting Sweeney Todd around the third trimester.

It's hard to explain but it feels so real now. Before it was sort of, I don't know, theoretical or something. And now that I've seen Zaphod's little baby face and heartbeat and watched him/her move it's just different. It's sort of surreal for me. I'd resigned myself to never being a biological mom and now I'm getting that chance. It's simply breathtaking.

I'll post some ultrasound pics once we get them scanned. Now, though, I've got to get back to work. I owe a certain police officer an edited grant application and proposal package. No naughty writing 'til I get that finished. Meh.

No comments: