Sunday, February 15, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow

First off, huge-o thanks to everyone for all the well-wishes and congrats. We have our first u/s on Tuesday so we'll have a better idea of due date and all that other fun stuff then. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

So as the reality of the pregnancy sets in, Dave and I are making changes to our plans for the remainder of the year. No new living and dining room furniture but we'll definitely do the painting and buy the freezer. I won't go back to school in the fall to finish my bachelor's because I'll likely deliver in mid-September. I'll have to bump those plans back to spring of 2010 but might look into some online courses through our local community college just to get back into the swing of things. There are other small changes such as vacation and travel and writer's conferences I won't be able to attend. I'm trying to write my ass off to get as many projects completed and out on submission as possible because--let's face it--there won't be any writing time once Zaphod debuts. But, seriously, it's worth it. I'm willing to make sacrifices.

That brings me to my gardening plans. I've got the spot picked out, and Dave's ready to build my boxes but I'm sort of waffling now. Will I have enough time and energy to devote to a fledgling garden? What about the maintenance and harvesting? Will I be able to crawl around and reach across the beds? What about the summer heat? Will I have time to learn how to can?* What about fertilizer exposure?

I really want the garden and I've been so excited to start gardening--but I'm still little hesitant to move forward. On the other hand, gardening and tending plants has always been a huge stress reliever for me. I love planting seeds and watching them sprout. Plus, eating homegrown produce is lovely.

I guess I have a few weeks to make up my mind. Well, not really. My planting calendar shows tasks for late February. Aw, hell, I think I'll just do it. I might just scale back a bit. That seems like a good compromise, right?

*Do any of my faithful readers know how to can? I haven't the slightest idea where to begin...

No comments: