Monday, June 04, 2007

Jumble

Fair Warning: This post is just going to be a jumble of thoughts. You may want to just skim through for the good parts, lol.

So I went home for a working vacation. Sat through a ton of school functions like spring concert, baccaulareate (yeah, I was shocked too. I tried to point out to a couple of people that it's, you know, ILLEGAL to require students to attend functions praising the Almighty JC, but Eldorado is seriously stuck in a time warp...) and then, of course, the graduation ceremony. Graduation was great. Short, sweet, done. We took some pictures, drank some beer, and that was that. Marcos seems happy to done with school but is a bit aimless now. I'm sure he'll figure it out soon.

Oh, and did I mention how freakin' tacky the spring concert was? Um, yeah. E-town used to have the most kickass band program in Texas. We won 20 plus years of state medals and were one of those bands that when we took the field people postponed their nacho runs to watch us perform. So anywho, the new guy is sort of a joke. I mean, what band director admits to a packed audience that he was "suprised" when he realized that Andrew Lloyd Webber composed Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Phantom of the Opera. Uh, hello???? And I realize that it's not the students' fault that they aren't getting the right kind of musical education so I cringed through a cacophany of conflicting sharp and flat notes and uneven tempos. That said, I couldn't contain my disgust when the band director started showing this horrendous PowerPoint presentation while the band played a patriotic tune. The presentation started off fine with lots of eagles, flags, kids playing in front yards, soldiers, etc, but then, all of a sudden, the entire screen was taken up by an image of Osama bin Laden. Yeah. Awkward. And then it was slide after slide of super tacky World Trade Center images. I mean fire balls, explosions, bloody people, and general destruction. OK. I realize that we can't sugar coat history, but there is a time and place for stuff like that and a school music production with an audience full of toddlers probably isn't the best time.... And because the director didn't maintain tempo the music was off so rather than just continuing the concert regardless of the slides, he restarts the slides at the OBL section so we have to watch the whole damn thing all over again. I was just speechless....

While I was home, I always attended a bridal shower thrown in my honor by my cousins, Andrea & Suzie. It was so lovely! Beautiful tables with candles, rose and carnation centerpieces, and sprinklings of bridal confetti. The food was delicious, and the games were hilarious. I had a really great time and can't wait to get back my pictures!!! They're definitely going in the scrapbook!

Mom finished the gazebo swag, the fans, and the toasting glasses. The woman is a phenom with a glue gun! We drove all over San Angelo in search of a tiara, but I didn't find one. Luckily my younger sis has an eye for these kinds of things, and she chose one for me when she was in San Angelo earlier this week. As far as other wedding stuff goes, I think we're, like, done. I've got to mail my photog worksheet tomorrow, call Julie with our final head count, and make our final cake choices on Sunday. Sara and I discussed the ceremony format and as soon as Dave and I make our reading choices, I'll type it up and email it her way. I ordered flowers and discussed bouquet designs with Mom. Everything else is piddly stuff that has to wait until a few days before the wedding.

We have our first house walk through on Wednesday. Our final walk through and closing are on the 14th so we'll (well Dave) will own the house two days before we get married. Yikes! We've sort of picked out appliances that we're going to need (fridge, washer and dryer.) We'll probably make a run to Lowes and Home Depot this week to compare prices, service warranties, etc.

I'm kind of debating writing this last part b/c I try to keep this blog upbeat, but the longer I sit here, the more I think that being honest is OK. Life isn't always sunshine and daisies, you know? Unfortunately, I'm learning that the hard way. I will say that during the past two weeks I've had some real shitty moments. I don't know why, but weddings seem to bring out the worst in people. I've never had so many snide, mean, crass, or thoughtless comments directed at me in all of my life. I won't go into specifics because I don't want to cause any more arguments, but come on, people. And I can tell you right now that I, in no way, instigated these tiffs. It was so bizarre. Every where I went people were just taking pot shots at me. Bastards.

Anywho. I need to get some writing done, and my Dr. Pepper is hot. Need ice cubes. I'll post again soon.

No comments: