Friday, May 18, 2007

Stop, Drop, and Roll! You're on Fire!

Who doesn't love The Bravery? And Public Service Announcement is, like, one of their best songs. And it totally fits my mindset today. Can you say stressed?

First, I have to say that I was incredibly stoked this morning to see that Kelly Parra commented on my blog!! OMG! I love reading author and agent blogs, but very rarely do agents/authors return the comments. I feel so uber special, lol! Oh, and if you have a chance you should buy Kelly's new book Graffiti Girl . I've heard that it's fantastic and am just waiting for my first chance to run out to B&N to get it.

So yesterday was fun. We ran a lot of wedding errands including hunting down a stamp for the cake boxes, trying to find a bakery that sells Mexican wedding cookies, and getting our marriage license. The actual applying part was easy, but getting into the damn courthouse was a pain! All of downtown Bryan is under construction. And whoever designed the courthouse seems to have forgotten to include space for parking lots. Yeah. So not cool. We had to hike, like, a mile and a half over exposed manholes, around orange cones, under road barriers, and then, of course, through the security checkpoint. I was kind of hoping we'd get a pretty marriage license like my cousin Suzie (hers is from San Antoni) but ours is, well, sort of fugly. It doesn't help that the "deputy" who filled out the forms and the license was, like, twelve and had crap handwriting. But, oh well....

We also stopped by La Michoacana, the new "Latino" supermarket in Bryan just before the bend, and I love the place. I mean, how can you not love a market with a roasted corn stand out front??? Inside, they had the tastiest looking taco bar and toward the back was a full service deli with loads of chorizo, barbacoa, and even menudo! And did I mention their panaderia was phenomenal? I couldn't help myself! I had to buy three fresh pan dulce. They were orgasmic! Sure, their bakery didn't have wedding cookies but walking into that store was like going home. It's my new favorite place!

And now my phone is ringing. Brb.

OMG! OMG! That was Dave! Our builder just called to schedule our first and final walk-thrus and the closing! This is so exciting! We'll be the owners of the house before the wedding! Yay!

Of course, we'll be completely broke, but to hear Mom talk, that's just a fact of being married, lol. OK. So I'm exaggerating. We won't be broke broke. You know, not beans and rice broke, but more like no more splurging on organic fruit, milk, and beef broke. And we won't be moving into the house until July-ish when Dad and the rest of the family come down to help us move. That's one of my parents' other wedding gifts. We have plenty of time to save some extra cash for all of those last minute moving expenses like deposits, paint, and food for my moving crew, lol.

I've got to pack because I'm going home for a week with the family. We're celebrating Marcos' graduation and my cousins are hosting a bridal shower. My posh sis is going to walk me through a couple hair and makeup trials until we find the right wedding style, and Mom and I are going to knock out some last minute wedding crafty things like the swag for the gazebo, tying ribbons on fans, and stamping cake boxes. We've also got to go find a tiara, shoes, and OMG! I just realized I haven't even thought about my something old, new, borrowed, and blue! Let's see. Dress is new. Dave is old. So I need something blue and borrowed.....

Speaking of Dave, he's got me under strict no work/no stress watch today and next week. He's worried about me because I've had constant heartburn, nausea, insomnia and headaches for the last seven or eight days. And before anyone jumps on me for being a bridezilla, it's not that. Yes, I'm made most of the wedding decisions, but Dave has equally shared all of the implementation of those choices. I'm just suffering from a really horrid cosmic convergence of stress. In the next four weeks, I'm watching my younger brother graduate, attending my bridal shower, closing on the house, getting married, and of course, anxiously waiting to hear back from publishers about my book. And, oh yeah, I'm trying to work through the "sagging middle" of my current manuscript.

So rather than going against my "doctor's" orders, I'm signing off and heading off to the couch for a little lounging and some DVDs. Laters.

No comments: