Friday, May 08, 2009

Stay Classy Houston

Just when I think I can't be shocked by the incompetence of the justice system in this country, I read shit like this: Rape Victims Forced to Pay for Evidence.

Oh. My. God.

Yes, let's bill rape victims for their rape kits! Let's continue to victimize them by forcing them to relive those memories every time the phone rings or the mail arrives. I'm sure a rape victim is just going to love seeing that delinquent entry on her mortgage application, years after she's moved forward with her life.

What jackass thought this was a good idea? I mean, seriously, am I the only person wondering why the hell rape kits cost anything at all? Shouldn't a rape kit be billed automatically to the police or sheriff's department's evidence gathering department? Why are we billing women (and men) for the privilege (sarcasm) of such a humiliating and traumatizing experience?

Just reading this makes me so sad. And disgusted. WTF, Houston? WTF!

1 comment:

Brenda Lou said...

You have got to be kidding me??? This woman has already been through hell and now the powers that be are still screwing w/her! Freaking pathetic!