Monday, May 25, 2009

25

So we hit 25 weeks today. I'm so much less nervous now that we've reached the stage of preemie viability. Since there hasn't been a single full-term birth on my side of the family in this generation of cousins, it was definitely a huge worry for me. The pregnancy has been incredibly normal and--shockingly--easy. Other than loose hips and some back problems because of that stupid disc I bulged/slipped a few years ago, I've had no complaints. I mean, I'm totally sad that I can't run anymore. I miss pounding pavement and sidewalks so badly. There's nothing like the high of finishing a 3.5 mile run when you're chubby! But my hips just can't take the beating anymore. I'm so wobbly I look like Elvis in the mornings!

Weight gain is finally creeping up on me. I think I've put on maybe 3 or so pounds. Most of it seems to be in my tatas and belly/baby weight. I've sort of been keeping an eye on my thighs. If they start getting all flabby huge then I know I'm packing on excess fat which is useless. If they stay normal, all the weight I'm gaining is good weight. My carb cravings are coming back and most days I just give into them. Unless I fail my GTT (sometime next week,) there's really no reason to restrict my carb intake while I'm pregnant. I mean, really, a handful of Oreos or a scoop of Fruity Pebbles while I write isn't going to kill me.

Tomorrow we head in for another ultrasound. They want to take a peek at Zaphod's heart again just to make sure everything's exactly as it should be. I'm not overly concerned but understand why my docs want to be cautious. With all the heart problems we've had in my family, you just never know. As of yet, there's no indication she has any issues whatsoever. Her heartbeat is incredibly strong. Actually, at my last visit, Dave and I both busted out laughing because Zaphod's heartbeat sounded like the "galloping horses" in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And by galloping horses, I mean smacking coconut halves together.

Yeah. The staff at our OB/midwife's office think we're nuts, I'm sure.

Other than that, it's same old, same old around here. We're finally starting the nursery--and by starting, I mean I've finally chosen a paint color. My parents are buying our crib sometime in the next week or so which gives us a little time to get the room painted. Oh, and my sister and brother are getting us the travel system/stroller/carseat. Yayness! I'll be ordering my cloth diaper stash sometime this week too. For a procrastinator, I've done more than I'd expected in preparation for the baby's arrival. Shocking, actually...

Oh yeah! Zaphod likes music. I was bored last night and she was doing her yoga poses in my uterus (at least, that's what it feels like) so I thought, "Self! Let's see if Zaphod likes music." I slipped my headphones around Das Bump and scrolled through iTunes. Eventually I settled on the Superman Theme (Planet Krypton) by John Williams. She sort of stilled when the lone trumpet began. As the other brass instruments joined, she wiggled and squirmed. At the climax of the intro, she punched me right in the belly button and kicked my bladder.

I figured that was enough music time, lol.

Next time, I think I'll try Also Sprach Zarathrustra...

No comments: