Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bizenghast

So I've started venturing into new and interesting literary genres. First I tried Bizarro fiction and absolutely fell in love with it. I think I may have converted Rob/Todd to the genre as he devoured Angel Dust Apocalypse during his short visit. Seriously good and totally mind-bending book. You should check it out if you get chance.

I've also tried some scifi a la John Scalzi and some super cozy Victorian mysteries. I'm considering a thriller or two and some horror. Maybe. Anywho. So manga/graphic novels were next on my list. Dave and I visited the library yesterday afternoon and the Halloween collection caught my eye. I wandered over and picked up the first thing that looked interesting: Bizenghast Volumes 1 & 2.

These are two of the most engaging books I've ever picked up. The illustrations are crazy beautiful. The storyline is whimsical and frightening. Dinah, a young girl who can see ghosts and has some serious mental issues (schizophrenia, maybe) and her best friend Vincent discover a mausoleum in the woods. Dinah accidentally signs a contract binding her to the mausoleum and to the task of freeing tortured, trapped souls. Each volume of Bizenghast is a continuation of her quest to free the souls and void the contract.

The books are super interesting and super quick reads. Drop by your library or B&N or indie bookstore and try them out! You won't be sorry!

No comments: