Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tim Russert & Pink Shoes

Wow. Tim Russert died on Friday. I am shocked. Speechless. Seriously. I loved Tim Russert. I loved Meet the Press. I think he took over Meet the Press in the early nineties. I was in, like, elementary school then and just discovering my love all things political. His tiny little dry erase board during the 2000 Presidential election is burned into my memory.

He is--well, was--one of the few journalists I trusted to ask the hard questions. He was tenacious, engaging, and always fair. He also wrote some great books. His wife is an amazingly talented writer for Vanity Fair. His kid just graduated from college. What a horrible tragedy running up to Father's Day! I really feel bad for his family.

Sunday mornings just won't be the same anymore...

As for the pink shoes, well, check out this pic: Pink Pumps & Sailors Return.


Personally, I think it's a gorgeous picture. It's evocative, it's sassy, and it speaks to the excitement and anxiety of a woman awaiting the return of her sailor husband. Everyone I've showed the pic to sees exactly what I see. Unfortunately, the readers of the paper where the pic was originally run along with an article about the return of the Harry S. Truman carrier felt the pic was "trashy" and "cheap."

Yeah. I know. What the hell? What is wrong with a woman or man dressing up for their returning spouse/partner/lover? Shoot, if Dave's gone for more than two days in a row, I always make sure I hop in the shower, get those legs smooth, and slip on some cute undies. He's my husband. I miss him. I want him to know that I care for him. Obviously, any spouse of a military member is going to feel that longing a thousand times fold.

If you're interested, check out the SB blog. They have an awesome post on the kerfuffle and hundreds of comments from military spouses, authors, and readers. And, yes, people always ask if that is THE Nora Roberts commenting on the SB blog. Yeppers. That's La Nora. She's surprisingly down-to-earth in her internet presence.

All right. I'm out. I won't blog this weekend. Our anniversary is coming up, and we've decided to celebrate a few days early. We've also decided to take the plunge, so to speak. Here's to flirting with danger!

No comments: