Friday, March 27, 2009

To Grandmother's House We Go

So Dave, Bosley, and I made the six hour trek to Eldorado to visit family. It was one of those vacations that's sort of more stressful than relaxing because you have such a short amount of time to pack in everything.

We watched Garret's little league game (too funny, folks) and had dinner with Dave's grandfather, brothers and their spouses. Penny wasn't in town but we'll see her and Dave's Aunt Carolyn in a few weeks when they come down for a china painting convention. Bob is persnickety as ever and just as curmudgeonly, lol. Here's a snippet from the what-to-do-for-dinner conversation.

Bob: Well, you women are welcome to head into the kitchen and pull something out of the freezer.

Me, Amy, and Stephanie exchanged amused WTF glances while Dave, Todd, and Lee looked like they were going to choke on their laughter.

Bob: Or we could go out.

Me, Amy, and Stephanie: Go out!

Mom, Tricia, and I drove to San Angelo for dinner and baby shopping. We chose the pattern for the nursery and picked out tons of fabric for the crib, window, accessories, and swaddling blankets. My brothers barbecued and avoided Bosley at all costs. No, seriously. Bosley isn't very fond of the boys so they actually pitched a tent and air matress in Dad's shop and slept out there!

Dad was a smidge grumpy because he had to lay off more people. He's at the end of his rope, and it really worries me. On top of all his diabetes complications, the man just had serious cardiac problems and stents put in place. The day after Dad returned to work after taking off a few weeks to recover from his surgeries, he had to deal with a massive brouhaha over an employee threatening to sue. Every day, it's something else, you know? I really, really worry about him blowing a pupil.

Lately, it seems like everyone I know is dealing with some serious illness or other. Dave's grandfather is undergoing chemo for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Mom just had skin cancer removed from her face and is waiting to hear back from the pathologist as to whether or not she'll need to undergo radiation or worse. As concerned as I am for them, I'm most concerned for my lil bro Marcos.

Marcos has been having problems with high blood pressure, elevated liver enzymes, and a spiking white cell count. The morning Dave and I left for home, he went to the doctor for a follow-up to intense testing. Right before we took off, he called Mom to let her know the doctor's want to take a bone marrow sample because they're concerned he may have cancer. CANCER! He's just a kid. I'm just sick with worry. God forbid it's the worst but even if it is Marcos has three siblings and a niece/nephew on the way who might potentially match should he need some sort of bone marrow or cord blood product. And I'm already in the registry so that helps a little.

Oy veh! When it rains it pours and all that...

Anywho. I hate to end my posts on a downer so I'll leave you with this gem from my parents.

Mom: Maria, if you or Dave need to use the bathroom during the night just use the one attached to our bedroom. And don't worry. We sleep in our jammies.

Dad: Not me. I just sleep in my cowboy boots.

No comments: