Sunday, February 04, 2007

Death 2 Bridal Salons...and Stuff

Holy Crap! So I haven't been keeping up my end of the blogging bargain because it's been all kinds of crazy in my little sphere. Here's the Cliff's Notes Version.

I signed with a literary agent right after New Year's, and my manuscript, Sangre, is making the rounds in NYC right now. The editor at Warner books who expressed early interest in the manuscript decided to pass on the project b/c she felt it wasn't commercial enough for her list, BUT, she said that "...the writing is absolutely gorgeous...." Hearing that from an editor is a great pick-me-up, especially if they decide to pass, because it means that you're writing isn't crap and will probably sell to someone else.

I'm hard at work on a dark urban fantasy novel and should have the final draft hammered out in a few weeks. After that, I'm going to finish a historical romance that I started last August and then finish up D2L. My plan is to have these three manuscripts finished before May 15 because I figure that after that, I won't have any time to write because of the wedding.

Speaking of the wedding! I finally found a wedding dress, and let me say, it wasn't easy. No, it's not because I'm picky. Unless, of course, wanting a dress to actually fucking zip is being picky. Yes. I realize that I'm chubby. I have no illusions otherwise. I'm not embarrassed by my curves. I'm actually quite proud of my rack. There are women out there who would pay good money for my 44D's. I think I have every right to expect to find a gorgeous dress to fit my body type, but apparently, my money (or rather, my dad's hard earned cash) isn't as good as some bony-assed, flat-chested chica. I mean, seriously, folks! If 2/3 of the US population is overweight wouldn't it make sense for bridal boutiques to carry dresses larger than a twelve? And what is this crap about plus size dresses all looking like some dowdy English nanny's handsewn tea cozy? Hmm?

I spent one horrible day trying on dresses with my mom and younger sister and spent almost two weeks trying to regain my self-confidence. I felt like such a disgusting cow. I know it's hard for some of my smaller friends to understand, but try going into a store and picking out ten amazing outfits in a size two or three smaller than your own. Squish yourself into them, stand in front of the mirror, and have the sale's assistant grab the open back, yank it together, and say, "This is what it would look like if it would close. Hey, but don't worry, you have plenty of time to diet."

Thank goodness my sis was with me. For those of you who have never had the pleasure of meeting Tricia, she's staunchly loyal to her friends and family and has a razor sharp tongue that loves to flay the flesh of those who dare to offend her. She's also got a glare that would make the Devil sweat. Seriously. I'm not joking. You're more than welcome to test her, but I'd make sure that my insurance covers therapy sessions 'cause you're gonna need them when she's done with you.

So anyways, I finally gave in and went to David's Bridal. The experience was surprisingly fun and easy. I saw a dress on a chubby mannequin, and at first, I thought it was pretty, but it wasn't anything like what I had envisioned wearing. On a whim, I decided to give it a try, and OMG! It was just perfect. I had one of those teary-holy-crap-i'm-really-effing-getting-married moments and bought the dress.

You have no idea what a relief it was to check that off of my Knot Checklist. Only 143 items to go before June 16!!!! Woo-hoo!

We reserved a block of hotel rooms, started working on the wording of our invitations, and are discussing our program options right now. We're also in limbo with our mortgage company. OMG! Mortgage paperwork is evil. Not your standard evil either. I'm talking EVIL a-la Vincent Price's creepy intonation. Fill out these thirty pages, attach ninety copies of tax returns, bank statements, retirement account statements, and--oh wait--we gave you the wrong form. Fill out these forty forms instead, fax this here, write this check, open up this escrow account, blah, blah, blah.

We just keep telling ourselves, "It's all worth it. It's all worth it."

So anywho--that's what's going on in my world. I'm going to go make a sandwich, open another Diet Dr. Pepper (yeah, i'm off the leaded stuff), and get back to working on my novel.

No comments: